Monday, February 1, 2010

February's change



It's a new month, and we are up for a new change around here ;) Last month I started to buy greener detergent, washing agents and shampoo. We also bought toothpaste from Urtekram. Not all are convinced about the toothpaste though... I guess when you are used to brush your teeth with a toothpaste that makes a lot of foam, brushing with one that doesn't, feels a bit weird... But we are working on it ;)
For our laundry I bought some washnuts (soapnuts) to try. And I love them. They smell awful, but the laundry comes out of the washer smelling fresh. And you can feel that there is no soap of any kind left! The hard stains as i.e ketchup is easy washed off with gall soap. It might sound gross, but the soap is smell free and it really works!!
Actually I'm trying to keep away from products with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate - which is the ingredient that makes the foam. But it's not easy. I have to order most of the stuff from online shops or if I'm lucky they have products I want on our local health shop.

So why is a dangerous chemical like sodium lauryl sulfate used in our soaps and shampoos?
The answer is simple - it is cheap. The sodium lauryl sulfate found in our soaps is exactly the same as you would find in a car wash or even a garage, where it is used to degrease car engines.

In the same way as it dissolves the grease on car engines, sodium lauryl sulfate also dissolves the oils on your skin, which can cause a drying effect. It is also well documented that it denatures skin proteins, which causes not only irritation, but also allows environmental contaminants easier access to the lower, sensitive layers of the skin.
DSCN2522

But now for this months change :) I have lots of them, but I always leave them at home when I go shopping... So this month we are trying to remember to grab our fabrich grocery bags when we drive to the store!!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for inspiring me a little, Hege. We're pretty good about taking shopping bags to the grocery store, and I use environmentally safe cleaners in the kitchen, but I haven't moved on to laundry products. I really should, especially since my son's skin is really sensitive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Lots of good information. I use Melaleuca products and I will have to check out the chemical list to see if that stuff is in it. I know that all of their products are bio-degradable and work really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! I need to follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Job! I can't find that gall soap here in the states but when we were in France we used soap nuts and gall soap and hung everything to dry, everything smelled wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥