Monday, January 31, 2011

Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre (Penguin Classics)Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead, subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity. She takes up the post of governess at Thornfield, falls in love with Mr. Rochester, and discovers the impediment to their lawful marriage in a story that transcends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a wider and richer life than Victorian society traditionally allowed. With a heroine full of yearning, the dangerous secrets she encounters, and the choices she finally makes, Charlotte Bronte's innovative and enduring romantic novel continues to engage and provoke readers."


I thoroughly enjoyed the story from beginning to end, and was really sad to finish it. This is such a unique romance, with well developed characters. I should have read this a long time ago!

And I'm so looking forward to the new movie :)


4 comments:

  1. Oh, I just love Jane Eyre. Such a lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my all-time favorite classic! I've never found a movie version to do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jane Eyre too! I don't remember that first time I read it, but the last time I read it was with my now nineteen year old daughter when she was around ten. I think it's time for another read.

    I'm excited to hear there's a new movie coming out. I did like the Timothy Dalton version though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane Eyre is my favorite book. I can't wait for the movie either. This is my first visit to your pretty blog. I love the mittens!

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥