Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Yarn Along

Joining Ginny over at Small Things for Yarn Along.
"~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs. I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading? ... ~"

Yarn Along

I'm not done with my cardi yet, but I won't bore you with another picture of it ;) I have one sleeve and the button and neck bands left to knit, but I had to take a break from all that black and make something with a bit more colours. So I've pulled out from a basket a long neglected project - my leftover blanket. I've almost used up all my little leftovers, so I'm hoping to start crocheting the squares together soon. Just have to figure out how first...
When it comes to reading.. Well, I haven't read much in "The leaving of Liverpool" this week. Instead I've been reading books in a norwegian series called "Polarnetter" (polarnights). The series is set in the beginning of the 1900s. We meet Thora from Tromsø and how fate and love leads her to Svalbard, a male-dominated society. No warm welcome awaits her ... life in the icy wilderness is not just the midnight sun and full moon nights. It's about strong women's destinies, dreams crushed - and dreams come true.
I'm almost done with book #17. Thora is in her 40s now and the war have made her and her family to Scotland. They had to evacuate from Svalbard and on the long boat journey her husband fell over board... Hoping for a happy ending as the book #18 is the last one.

6 comments:

  1. Ha ha. You sound like me, not wanting to show what I'm STILL working on. What was 'The Leaving of Liverpool'? I live just outside of Liverpool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara - fixed the link ;)
    It's a book about two young girls running away to America. But just one of them gets on the boat...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book sounds interesting! I look forward to seeing the completed project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm crocheting a blanket - using my leftovers too!!! - but I have only a couple of squares done so far...it might take until christmas to get enough of them...

    good luck with your project :) it looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is a link to Lucy @ Attic 24's post on joining squares as you go
    http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/joining-asyougo-sqaures.html

    you can also do a chain one or two between the connecting stitches and get a nice lacey effect between the motifs

    HTH, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was looking forward to another cardigan picture! Maybe there will be a grand revealing next week? You've made quick work of it!
    The blanket looks really nice, though! I love that orange!

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥