Wednesday, November 16, 2016

On The Needles :: Leftover Socks

Untitled

What are you knitting and reading this week?
I'm joining Ginny at Small Things for Yarn Along and Nicole at Frontier Dreams for Keep Calm and Craft On.

Knitting: While I was looking for yarn for my Fidelio socks (which is in a timeout right now due to some mistake involving ripping back cables...), I saw that I have a lot of solid sockyarn leftovers and single 50 g balls. So I decided I needed to knit them up and went pattern browsing. The first one I wanted to knit was a pair of Socks with pattern from Drops. And I quite like how they turned out :) I might have to knit them up in another colour combination.

Reading: I've been waiting for this book - The Book of Speculations at the library for some time. And I must say it was worth the wait. It SO good!! I am just a few chapters in, but I love the ones set at the circus. A must read if you haven't already.
Simon Watson, a young librarian, lives alone in a house that is slowly crumbling toward the Long Island Sound. His parents are long dead. His mother, a circus mermaid who made her living by holding her breath, drowned in the very water his house overlooks. His younger sister, Enola, ran off six years ago and now reads tarot cards for a traveling carnival.

One June day, an old book arrives on Simon's doorstep, sent by an antiquarian bookseller who purchased it on speculation. Fragile and water damaged, the book is a log from the owner of a traveling carnival in the 1700s, who reports strange and magical things, including the drowning death of a circus mermaid. Since then, generations of "mermaids" in Simon's family have drowned--always on July 24, which is only weeks away.

As his friend Alice looks on with alarm, Simon becomes increasingly worried about his sister. Could there be a curse on Simon's family? What does it have to do with the book, and can he get to the heart of the mystery in time to save Enola? - from Goodreads -

4 comments:

  1. I am nearing the end of the book and it's a strange book. Can't wait to see what you think of it. Love your socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will check out that book!

    LOVE the socks!

    I'd love to have you link up over at my weekly Yarn Fanatic Party. This week's can be found here: http://www.thephilosopherswife.net/2016/11/yarn-fanatic-party-69.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I saw that at the library over the summer and wondered if it was any good. I'll have to check it out!

    And your socks are turning out very prettily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently finished listening to that book as an audiobook - I tend to listen to audiobooks when I am spinning or knitting (if it is a simple knit). I really enjoyed it! Beautiful socks as always!

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥