Sunday, May 8, 2016

In The Garden

Untitled

Spring came 2-3 weeks earlier than usual here in the north. The snow has melted fast with the help from the sun and the wind. So the last couple of weekends hubby and I have been fixing the greenhouse; we've painted it, made a floor and benches. And about a week ago I moved almost all my plants out of the living room and into the greenhouse. It's still cold during the nights and we might get a few frost nights, so we have to have an electric oven on. But so far both my tomato and cucumber plants seems to thrive :)

Untitled

Untitled

IMG_20160501_184839

With all the snow gone so early, we could fix the soil in the vegetable garden by adding some cow compost and adding a few more raised beds. They are made from pallet collars.

Untitled

Agurk :: Cucumber

IMG_20160506_162159

I'm so lucky that hubby likes to drag home all sorts of things and that he likes to build.
So the other day he made a deck in front of the greenhouse and a bridge over the creek :)
All made from recycled materials! Endre is digging after earthworms to put in the vegetable garden.

IMG_20160507_185903

We met a little frog in the forest :)

20160508_130642

Still lots of snow in the mountains, but the bird cherry is full of sprouting leaves.
Can't wait for it to bloom :)

Untitled     Untitled

Untitled

And my red currant bushes have survived the winter. Hopefully they will carry lots of berries.

Untitled

Rosenrot :: Roseroot

20160508_125656

Valmue :: Poppy

Untitled

I have no idea what this tiny flower is. Tiny, tiny as the size of a fingernail.
I'm not sure what the next two flowers down below are either. Need to wait until they bloom ;)

Untitled     Untitled

Untitled     Untitled

                      Smågullkorg :: Leopard's Bane                                         Ballblom :: Globeflower

Untitled


Storhjelm :: Monkshood

Untitled

All four rhubarb plants survived the winter :) 

8 comments:

  1. what a great looking greenhouse....and how lucky you are to have someone so crafty--and thrifty!! Love the look! Just put a couple rhubarb plants in yesterday. I love rhubarb so much, but I can't seem to get my plants to winter over. I think our climate is too hot for it...which really doesn't explain why it doesn't survive the winter. ???? I keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm very lucky to have such a handy hubby :)
      I didn't really think it would be a problem growing things I find difficult to grow here in the north, in warmer climates! I always have to check the hardness grade on each plant or bush I buy to be sure it will survive the winter. I have to choose the ones with the highest grade, as we have such a hard winter here... And that means I don't have a large variation to choose from. I SO badly would have had a cherry tree in my garden, but it's to cold here during winter :(
      Maybe you need to grow your rhubarb in large pots and store them in a cool place during the winter months?

      Delete
  2. The green-house is lovely as is the deck and the bridge!
    (winter was lingering very long here, too... :((
    Wishing you plenty of sun!
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like the tiny yellow flower/plant might be Chrysosplenium https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysosplenium
    I think the one below that might well be Columbines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link.
      Of course it's Columbines or Akeleier as we calle them in norwegian. I just could not think of the name as I was blogging ;) I love Columbines, but not all of them can survive here, so I try to find as many as I can.

      Delete
  4. Your greenhouse is freakin' awesome. Can you come organize my backyard into a growing garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Sure, I'll be right there ;)

      Delete
  5. What an awesome greenhouse and garden! I hope to someday have land enough to do something like this :D

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥