Monday, May 25, 2009

The history of love

The History of Love: A Novel The History of Love: A Novel by Nicole Krauss


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars

"Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering."

After seeing this book a lot around, I desided that I had to read it. At first I struggeled a bit to get into the story, but I'm glad I continued reading. Because the book is beautiful, filled with love, hope and loss.

The main story is about Leo Gursky. He's an author, but has never published a book. Before ww2 he lived in Poland, and fell in Love with Alma. Leo wrote a book about her, but it got lost. Her parents sent her to usa to get her away from the war, and she promised to wait for Leo. After five years Leo has finally made to get to usa, just to find Alma married to another man. She thought he had died. But there is one proof of their love - a son.

We alos get to know Alma, a 14 years old girl. Her parents named her after Alma, the main character in the book "The history of love" - Leo's book. It's been published, but by who? As alma's mother get's a letter asking her to translate this book from spanish, Alma get's drawn into a search for Alma in the book, which she belives is a real person.

View all my reviews.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this book as I did too. BTW, I saw you were reading The People's Act of Love and found the review compelling and am about to start it myself!

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥