Wednesday, September 1, 2010

52 books in 52 weeks update


Another month has gone and here are the books I've read in August :) As always I've highligthed the books I enjoyed most. I've found a new great series by Gail Carriger. Steampunk (which is totally new to me, but I love it) mixed with vampires and werewolves!  I'm reading book two at the moment, trying to make it last a bit longer then I usually read a book. I have book three, but book four isn't coming out until  spring next year....
And as some of you might know, I love vampire/werewolf books ;) So I've picked up another series too this month - The Hollows series by Kim Harrison. Loved the first book, especially the pixi Jenks :) So I'm looking forward to read the next book!
And another favourite book this month have been the Potensgiverne. I don't think it's been translated into english though. But it's a warm, humorous book about two old sisters who desides to earn some money by making and selling potency drug, so they can install a indoor bathroom.

August
86 - Soulless - Gail Carriger


Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she is being rudely attacked by a vampire to whom she has not been properly introduced! Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire, and the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate. With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

87 - Gravbøygen våkner, alvetegnet - Sigbjørn Mostue
88 - Fangstkvinne (Polarnetter #14) - Ellinor Rafaelsen
89 - Hjerter i utakt (Polarnetter #15) - Ellinor Rafaelsen
90 - Sukkertøymannen - Hauk Hildebrand
91 - Potensgiverne - Karin Brunk Holmqvist


Gamle damer sitter ikke der man sætter dem. At nød lærer naken kvinne å spinne, gjelder i aller høyeste grad de gamle frøknene Tilda og Elida. Søstrene på 72 og 78 år bor fortsatt i barndomshjemmet i en liten svensk by hvor tiden nærmest står stille. Alt er som det pleier, inkludert utedoen, hvor en visitt ofte blir en kald opplevelse. Da den galante Alvar Klemens flytter inn i nabohuset og begynner å pusse opp, skjer det store endringer i søstrenes liv. De kjøper seg nye kjoler og glemmer helt at broren deres vil ha dem på gamlehjem så han kan overta barndomshjemmet som sommerhus. Ikke minst vil de også ha et skikkelig innendørs toalett, slik Alvar har skaffet seg. Men det koster mye, og nå er gode råd dyre. De to oppfinnsomme søstrene får en strålende idé til hvordan de kan skaffe seg pengene: postordresalg av potensmiddel. Dermed setter de en annonse i avisen, og fra den dagen blir ingenting som før for Tilda og Elida ...

92 - Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, Book 1) - Kim Harrison


Rachel Morgan, witch and bounty hunter with the Inderland Runner Services, is one of the best at apprehending supernatural lawbreakers throughout Cincinnati, but when it comes to following the rules, she falls desperately short. Determined to buck the system, she quits and takes off on the run with an I.S. contract on her head and is reluctantly forced to team up with Ivy, Inderland's best runner . . . and a living vampire. But this witch is way out of her league, and to clear her name, Rachel must evade shape-changing assassins, outwit a powerful businessman/crime lord, and survive a vicious underground fight-to-the-death . . . not to mention her own roommate.

4 comments:

  1. Oh , I love book recommends! The steampunk one looks really good to me. I've heard of steampunk but don't know too much about it, though I think I would have identified with the idea when I was younger...anyways I'll be looking that one up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all of the book recommendations! I can be such a lazy reader! I've been reading A Passage to India since July. I should just call it quits. I obviously am not in to it...but it isn't a bad book. I'm the problem.

    Those purple socks are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that cover of the Gail Carriger book. I haven't read any vampire books though, maybe I'll try that one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So based on your glowing recommendation I picked up soulless from my library and read it all last night. Amazing fun! Thanks for the recommendation! What else do you have?

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥