Friday, March 7, 2014

FO :: Squirrel Socks

Untitled

My Squirrel Socks are done :)
Sorry for bad photos today - I used my phone...
But don't them make you happy? I knew I had to make a pair in these colours after I saw Nasti's pair a while ago. And lucky me - I had the right colours in my stash :)
And the other day I saw this pair - Love the colours, so there might be a brighter pair of these squirrels soon!

Untitled

Ravelry Project Page
Pattern: The Squirrel Socks (free pattern)
Modifications: I knit them cuff down and with a heel flap instead of a short row heel.
Yarn: Sisu, 39 g dark grey #1088 Silja, 16 g grey #305, 16 g white #37 and 17 g red #309
Needles: 2,5 mm / US 1,5
Size: 64 sts, european 39/40
Made for: Me
Started: February 27, 2014
Completed: March 6, 2014



Linking up with FO Friday :: Creative Friday :: Fiber Arts Friday

Untitled


Untitled

After I posted about colourwork knitting in my last post, I came in mind that I should have mention that it's important to block.
I always steam block my colourwork knitting, but not the ribbing or the heel!
Below you can see a before and after photo of my squirrel socks. Espesially the toe got a bit wrinkly, but after steam blocking it, it came out flat and neat.

Untitled Untitled

Before                       After

19 comments:

  1. Så flotte sokker. Ikke hver dag man har Nøtteliten på føttene:-)
    Ønsker deg ei riktig god helg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! They are darling in any color! I don't do socks, but I am sure there is a hat with this chart. Must go find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I have seen several pretty hats with squirrel patterns on :) I'm sure youæll find some.

      Delete
  3. Love, Love, Love! I just finished my first ever pair the other night--but they are no where as fancy as yours! Have you ever done a Sweet Tomato Heel? I think I am going to try one next!
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      No, I haven't tried the tomato heel. I knit the once I can do in my sleep. like the short row or the traditional heel flap heel, but I guess I should try a new one ;) I need to check out some of the other types I guess...

      Delete
  4. I love your squirrel socks! Thanks for the before and after blocking pictures. I had no idea it could make such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. are you kidding me, these are the most awesome socks I have seen. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so fun. One can't help but smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your socks are fabulous! The stripes look perfect with the colorwork bands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute and I love your choice of colors - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these squirrel socks! I really need to get over my fear of colorwork. Those are super sassy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bit late... But I just wanted to say how much I live these socks. They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Hege, its me again :) (the one who asked you to show inside out photos!).. .sorry to pick your brain again, but I find I learn so much from your blog, so I am going to ask you couple of questions again:

    (a) do you think it possible to adapt a chart like this patterns to a child size? I looked at the pattern and it is for 64 stitches, so I think I will need to take out some parts of the pattern to adapt it to 48 or 52 stitches - don't want to lose the squirrels but then they would cover more than half the circumference of the leg for the child size. Any better ways to adapt to smaller size?
    (b) in 'steaming' the socks, do you touch the iron down on the 'cover towel' or only hover it over the towel that covers the sock?... not sure how steaming is different from 'ironing' - am I supposed to only hold the iron over the item without touching it and just let the steam touch the item, or press the iron on the 'cover towel' and let the steam out?
    Again, these are just amazing and I am completely open-mouthed at the speed at which you complete such lovely works of art!!! Many thanks in advance for your advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonia.
      I think I might take away the pattern on the back of the leg and just have squirrels all around. I don't have the chart here with me, so I don't remember how many sts each squirrel covers...

      When I steam block I use a wet cloth and press the iron on the cloth a few seconds. I don't use the steam in the iron itself.

      Delete
    2. Hi Hege, Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated! Cheers, Sonia xx

      Delete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥