Wednesday, March 5, 2014

On the Needles :: Nancy & Squirrel socks

Joining Yarn Along :: WIP Wedensday :: Keep Kalm Craft On
What's on your needles today?

Untitled

Knitting: I've come to the part where I have to bring out my sewing machine on my Nancy jacket... But I think I'll wait a couple of days before I'll do the steeking. In the meantime I can knit on my Squirrel socks :) They are a fun knit. I'm about to turn the heel on the first sock.

Reading: I've just finished the two books in the Highland series and although I love to read histirical fiction I needed to change genre for a while. So I picked up a book from the library - The Amulet of Samarkand. Love it so far :)


Untitled

I got a comment the other day asking if I could show the inside of my colourwork knitting.
Well, here is one photo of my Nancy jacket and one of the last socks I knit and the one on the needles. Hope it can show how the inside of colourwork should look like.

Untitled

Before you start colourwork knitting there are a few things to think about.

- Decide which strand will be “A” and which will be “B.” You will knit with only one strand at a time, while the other waits for its turn. When you change from using one color to another, keep their orientation consistent.
“A” is the background, or receding, color, and that strand should always cross below the other.
“B” is the foreground, or outstanding, color, and that strand should always cross above the other.

- The second key to stranded colorwork is making the strands of the unused color loose enough to keep the work from puckering. When changing colors, stretch apart the last stitches made in the prior color, and then loosely lay the new color across them on the wrong side. This strand on the back of the work is called a float. Knit with the new color, releasing the tension on the previous stitches. For a tidy look in the back of the work, securing loose strands or “floats”, consider “wrapping” the two colors while knitting. I do this if there are 5 stitches or more of one colour in a row.

24 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What beautiful projects! I'm still a newbie knitter, and I can't quite imagine starting projects like yours! The colorwork is fantastic. I'm really impressed how neat the wrong side is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always use the A for Above and the B for Below/Background, that way I don't forget. LOL! Lovely work. Must get back to my colorwork hat and just finish it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Your a for above and b for below is a good way of remembering where to keep the treads too.
      As long as they stay at the same spot all the time during the knitting, it doesn't matter if a or b is the background or the foreground colour.

      Delete
  3. Your knitting is always amazing! You are truly an artist with your knitting needles!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful color work! I'm working on a sweater with different colors and it's tough to keep it consistent. Happy Knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your colorwork- thank you for showing the insides! It is always amazing to me how beautiful the wrong side is. Your work is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your colorwork is amazing! I love seeing the inside:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply amazing! I haven't done any colorwork yet, but can't wait to try. Thank you for the tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks. Finally somebody explained the theory of colourwork. No honestly, this makes perfect sense it is only the "making the strands of the unused color loose enough" part that I haven't mastered yet. So my work is puckering. I get annoyed and either use several more strands or just leave it be. Your post gave me hope to one day master the art of colourwork. Even though I doubt mine will ever look as neat from the inside as your does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will master it!
      I started knitting colourwork years ago and believe me, it didn't look good the first time I tried ;)

      Delete
  9. love your stranded knitting. so pretty. I haven't knit anything in multi color in quite a while, maybe it's time to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tips. I have only tried colourwork once and it puckered, so I decided to wait a bit. Maybe it's time to give it another go. Also, thanks for the book tip. I'm always on the lookout for some historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful work! I've done colourwork but am definitely still perfecting the skill. Love your tips, would have been so handy as a first-timer. Is it strange even just reading the word "steeking" makes me hold my breath, this is one thing I haven't done yet but I am in love with a colourwork baby blanket that calls for it so I might just bite the bullet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so glad I landed here today...I just started my first colorwork project and your tips will help me so much!! Your projects are amazing and just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing photos of your colourwork projects, you're inspiring. The squirrel socks are so cute

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing. Your work is so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are the queen of color work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do like your colourwork. They are both nice, especially the squirrels. Steeking sound scary, I've never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jeg har akkurat kjøpt garn til denne genseren selv, kjenner at jeg ikke gleder meg til oppklippingen, men en gang må man vel hoppe i det? :) Gleder meg til å se hvordan din blir!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love every thing about this post. I am going to save your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing some advice about colorwork. It has always made me nervous. I have bookmarked this post, so I can come back to it when I decide to really try stranded colorwork. I love your squirrel socks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's beautiful behind - I am wearing a pair of colourwork mittens today and have discovered a strand which is too loose and catches my middle finger when I put them on...more work required! I can't wait to see Nancy once you've steeked!

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥