Wednesday, March 12, 2014

On the Needles :: Angee & Holmenkollen

Joining Yarn Along :: WIP Wedensday :: Keep Kalm Craft On
What's on your needles today?

Untitled

Knitting: I felt the need for a pair of socks with some texture pattern. So I flipped through Sock Innovation and found Angee. I just hope I have enough yarn... I have split the skein in two so we'll see. I haven't touched my Nancy jacket yet. I have to build up some courage to do the steeking! So instead I cast on a sweater for Eirin, the Holmenkollen sweater. I had some yarn I got from my mom's stash, but I think I am going to ran out of yarn before I start the yoke... Hopefully I will get some more in the same colour even though it won't be the same dye lot...

Reading: I started The Search for the Red Dragon last night. This is the second book in The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica series. I really liked the first book, so I am hoping this one will be just as good.


Untitled

It always amazes me how just a few simple stitch like knit and purl, a few yarn overs and some decreasing can make such intricate patterns.

Untitled

11 comments:

  1. The yarn of your new socks is really lovely with its subtle variegation, I hope it will be enough. The pattern is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, there are such lovely patterns that just require knit or purl sts, but the texture makes amazing designs. Lovely colors in your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful yarn you are using for your socks. The red makes the cables really stand out. I'm not brave enough to try steeks yet either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great inspiration you have for this new sock WIP. I can't wait to see you start in the color work for your daughter's sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see red knitting! My favorite color :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. great looking sock….i'm having yardage worries with the sock i'm working on, too…..the scale is by my side, and no mattern how many times i weigh the ball of yarn, I don't feel any more confident. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely color choices and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished Eirin's sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have enough yarn! lovely red and it matches your book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The socks look great so far! Can't wait to see the pretty purple sweater in all its finished glory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. very pretty -- the cables look so amazing in that color, very rich.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super pretty yarn. As for yarn shortage worry. With my last socks I was wondering how long my socks could be until I needed to turn the heel so here is what I did: I had done socks in a striped yarn that I had some yarn left over. As it striped on a very predictable basis I could calculate how much stripe repeats the heel and the foot needed (in this case 3). Now I measures how long such a stripe repeat was with the leftover yarn. The I measure my current yarn against the stripe repeat tripled it (3 repeats...) and this is how I knew how much yarn I would need to do the foot. Then I made a small knot in my yarn and knew when I reached the knot that I would have to start the heel. It worked out pretty well. Maybe you have similar sock/yarn to measure your red one against, maybe allowing a bit more yarn due to your cabled pattern. Hope that helps

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥