Wednesday, April 23, 2014

On the Needles :: Colourwork socks

Joining Yarn Along :: WIP Wedensday :: Keep Kalm Craft On
What's on your needles today?

Untitled

Knitting: I'm still enjoying knitting socks with a colouwork pattern :) I'm almost done with the decreasing at the back of my "kosesokker" (cosy socks), so I will cast on the second sock and knit it the same length before I knit both heels. That way I know they will look the same.
The pink heart socks is for my sister. I love this pattern and I think I'll have to knit myself another pair too. Maybe one with a little longer leg then the pair I have.

Reading: I'm reading moe than one bok as you all should now by now. But the one I seem to pick up most are "Mormor hilser og sier unnskyld" by Fredrik Beckman. It's a fun, but also heartwarming book about seen year old Elsa who has just lost her grandmother.

Elsa is seven years old and quite precocious. Grandma is her best friend. Her single, actually. Grandma used to be a genius and worked as a surgeon, but now she drives a car without a license and stand on the balcony with an open bathrobe and shoot at unannounced visitors with a paintball gun.
People say that she is different. Crazy. But Grandma has a secret language and a private kingdom, "Miamas", and there is all different. That's where grandma takes Elsa when Elsa's parents gets divorced and when Elsa is beaten at school because she is not like any other seven year olds.  "Miamas" is their free zone until grandma one day become sick and learns that she is dying.
As a final adventure, she gives Elsa a series of letters, where her grandmother would ask their neighbors to apologize. They lead Elsa to a stairway filled with militant members ofthe cooperative, fanatic coffee drinkers, fighting dogs, monsters, drunks and ordinary bitches. But they will also be the prelude to a story in which a child is trying to learn to accept that everyone you love will die, and where she bit by bit may know the truth of both the Kingdom Miamas and her grandmother.

12 comments:

  1. The pink hearts socks are really sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your socks are beautiful! Colorwork is something I am still trying to master. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those socks are absolutely stunning, I can't wait to see then when they're done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed! For some reason, colorwork socks scare me, but colorwork mittens do not.... eventually I'll take the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous socks - I don't know which I love more!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go on the color work. Interesting book you're reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous colourwork, the pink ones are fab

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! those socks are amazing! i love them

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning socks - your work is amazing. I'm such a fan of colourwork x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your socks are amazing! I'm new to the world of socks, and I'm still painfully hesitant about colorwork! The book by Beckman sounds fantastic, I wish I could find it in English.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those socks are truly amazing. I love colorwork, but it's so hard for me. I don't think I could handle it on a sock!

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥