Monday, February 7, 2011

The Time Traveler's wife - a disappointment

The Time Traveler's WifeThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger


My rating: 1 of 5 stars


"The Time Traveler's Wife, is the story of Clare, a beautiful art student, and Henry, an adventuresome librarian, who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-three and Henry thirty-one. Impossible but true, because Henry finds himself periodically displaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity from his life, past and future. His disappearances are spontaneous, his experiences unpredictable, alternately harrowing and amusing." (From the back cover)

Please tell me I'm not the only one that didn't like this book...!
I'm usually a bit sceptically to very popular books, so I've had this in my shelf for over a year, waiting for me. And I really thought it should be a wonderful read, and I was so excited to read this book. I mean, there is a movie made from it - it has to be good, right??

But I just made it to about 160 pages before I had to give up.
I love the idea of time travellig, but please. Why does Henry have to be naked and hungry? So many pages about clothes and food within the 160 pages I managed to read! And I don't think a 6 year old would stay and help a naked man to find clothes. Most likely she would have run away screaming.

And another thing that irritates me is how Henry could tell Clare, when she was little, when he would show up next time..? I might have missed a point here, but I thought he didn't kow where he would end up...

I don't like to give up a book. I've read some slow starting books that gets good after some chapters, but this is not one of them.



View all my reviews

11 comments:

  1. Too bad about the book. I watched the movie and it was good from what I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you were not the only one. I made it through the whole book but then the ending?Ummmm, no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone. I downloaded this book from Audible and started listening to it on a long drive. I found it so dull that I turned it off after about an hour and drove the rest of the way in silence. I have never attempted listening to it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeg har sett filmen. Husker at den var litt.. utenom det vanlige. Men mener å huske at han visste når han ville treffe henne, fordi i fremtiden har han jo allerede møtt henne som voksen. og da kan han reise tilbake og fortelle om det.. eller noe sånt.. Jajja.. merkelig opplegg den filmen der husker jeg iallefall.. Men tror kanskje det høres ut som det i dette tilfellet var greit å se filmen framfor å lese boken :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are NOT alone. I too gave up after about a 100 pages. So glad it wasn't just me :))) I'm currently reading Cutting for Stone and it has started out very interesting so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not care for it very much. However her recent book was very good in my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have The Time Traveler's Wife on my book shelf, and I haven't read it because I've heard other people say the same things that you thought.

    I chuckled when I read your last post because I thought how we knitters are often on the same "page." I just read a review of that Estonian book in one of my old knitting magazines that I was leafing through today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I loved it! But I don't mind if others don't, the movie is meant to be terrible. He knows when he'll turn up next because it's in the past to him. I love Jane Eyre too by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt the same way about this book. I thought it was a good idea but the execution was not so great, a little more high-concept than the author could handle. I felt that maybe if she'd left it for her third or fourth novel it would have been amazing.

    I read The Confessions Of Max Tivoli around the same time and looooooved it, though. It's in a similar vein - experiencing time in the wrong direction, having one great love that can't last. (From what I can tell it's basically a re-do of F Scott Fitzgerald's Benjamin Button short story, but I haven't read that one.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, I love this book!

    He can tell when he'll be back because he's visiting her out of order - that visit is in his past, but her future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agreed. I heard great things but was so disappointed with it. Glad I borrowed rather than bought...

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥