Friday, October 26, 2012

Peasoup and pancakes

We woke up to another 15 cm of fresh snow this morning, but before the kids got on the schoolbus it had started to rain. So now it's all a slushy mess outside and the wind is howling. They say it will be a bit stormy tonight so it's the perfect weather for some comfort food :)

Untitled

I think we norwegians eats pancakes a bit different than the rest of you ;) Of course we eat them with sugar, blueberries or even bacon, but we also eat them as dinner together with a bowl of peasoup.

Untitled

And you know Endre is allergic to eggs, so I make two sorts of pancakes. You might think that's silly as the rest of us can eat the same as Endre, but that's just one of the things I do ;) Recepie with eggs  and  without eggs.

Untitled

Yellow Peasoup

1 salted pork knuckle
500 g
dried split peas
2 liters of water
50 g sliced ​​celery root
2 sliced carrots
100 g sliced ​​rutabaga
1 sliced onion
4 sliced potatoes
1 teaspoon thyme 

Salt and pepper

Add the peas to soak overnight.
Boil
the ham knuckle in the water and let it simmer for about 1/2- 1 hour. Remove the foam formed during boiling.
Rinse the peas that have been soaked overnight and put them in the soup.
Boil further for about 15-20 min. 

Add the vegetables to the soup with thyme.
Cook further
for about  20 min.
Take the ham knuckle out of the soup. Cut off all the meat and cut the meat into smaller pieces and  put back into the soup. Let it simmer until the peas are tender.
Season the soup with salt and pepper.

If the soup is too thick just add some more water.

Serve with pancakes with sugar.

Untitled

Hubby has done the dishes so I can cuddle up in the sofa with some knitting. Not sure if I shall knit on my socks or if I should cast on a christmas gift...
Have a great weekend everyone!


8 comments:

  1. YUM! I love soups like that. Yes I eat my pancakes differently, but I can see this way would be yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice comfort meal. We eat breakfast sometimes for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmmm. Your pancakes look more like what we would call crepes. Might have to give them a try with soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Yes, we call those crepes and they are so much better than the other kind of pancake. Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely crepes, yes ... they can be savory or sweet! Oh, I'm so hungry now ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so going to make this! Do you use yellow split peas?

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥