Friday, January 25, 2013

FO :: Nuthatch Mittens

Untitled

My Nuthatch mittens are done. I love them although they came out a little to short and the thumbs are a little tight. So when I make more mittens from the book I will use 2,25 mm needles and maybe add a few rows of salt and pepper pattern before I start the decreasing.

Untitled

Pattern: Nuthatch mittens
Yarn: 59 g Mor Aase baby ull
Needles: 2 mm
Modifications: The mittens (and gloves) in this book is all knitted from the top down. I have never done it, so I made them the usual way from the cuff and up.
: January 20 2013
: January 25 2013



If you like to see other fo's, head over here
Natural Suburbia, Wisdom Begins in Wonder , I've Made Friday and Tami's Amis

Untitled

I got a question the other day if I block my mittens.
Well, I usually don't block my mittens. Only if they are very "curly/bumpy" due to the stranded knitting. And then I use a wet cloth and my iron and steam them flat.
Eskimini Makes had a post about mitten blocking a few days ago, so you might get a few tips there.

Untitled

My Komi mittens are almost done too, just have a few rows on the second and the thumbs left to knit, so there might be another fo post this weekend :)
Some of you have been asking how the water is. Well, hubby managed to break the ice that had packed itself in the hill above the well, so now it's melting and runs into our well. And fortunately we had a week with rain after we almost lost it. It's been a very dry fall/early winter here, so we still have to save our water.
I've promised the kids a snowshoe trip so hopefully we manage to do it this weekend.
What plans do you have? Whatever it is I hope your weekend will be great!

28 comments:

  1. Those are pretty awesome! Glad you are getting your water back...it is bitterly cold here today and I am tucked up in bed, as I am sick..

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are brilliant! I bet they're lovely and cosy to wear too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great pair of mittens, really pretty in the monochrome colouring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just how the light is here up north now. Blueish ;)

      Delete
  4. WOW I love the black & white contrast on these-- so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those mittens are great. I love the little bird, its really cute. I am jealous of people who can do stranded knitting because they always make such great things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mittens are gorgeous!! The color work is fabulous - I love them! Your plans for the weekend sound very fun - our little family will most likely take a hike somewhere close by - just for a few hours so the older ones can get back to work on homework.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are excellent mittens! I'm amazed you can do colorwork and not necessarily have to block it. o.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my first stranded works needed lots of blocking, but you know, practice makes perfect :)

      Delete
  8. I love your mittens! They're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mittens are gorgeous! My son goes back to his campus on Sunday so this weekend is all about getting him ready to go back to school and not to forget anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful mittens. Our plans this weekend involve bike riding on the waterfront, since its summer down here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely mittens, the bird on them is awesome.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're great! I love how the black and white features the designs. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! I cannot imagine I will ever get good enough to knit beautiful mittens like those! They are so pretty but look very difficult too. Maybe someday, meanwhile, hats off to you and your wonderful accomplishment! You're VERY talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Stranded knittig is not as difficult as it seems, so you should give it a try.

      Delete
  14. Black and white are so striking together. Glad to read you have water right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. those are so beautiful! i love the little birds

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those mittens are awesome! I really like them.It looks like a complicated pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nydelige votter du har laget! Så flott og dekorativt mønster!
    God helg til deg og dine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am always amazed at how quickly you knit a pair of complicated mittens! The nuthatches are beautiful! I'm glad to hear your water situation has improved.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such adorable mitts! I love the bird pattern, and I'm super impressed at how quickly you knit them. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Så spennende med nye mønstre, disse var flotte! Hyggelig at du vil være med på give awayen min!Så flott innlegg du skrev tidligere her om bestemoren din. Alle lappene hun har strikket blir nok til tepper fulle av minner.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nydelige votter. Enig i at de kunne vært litt lengre og kanskje litt tragere for bedre passform :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very pretty! I like the colorwork.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing and given where you live, much needed!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  24. Endelig jeg har oppdaget din deilig votter også. Jeg er virkelig ikke ekspert med PC:-(
    Og mønsteret er av Colorwork Creations fra Susan Anderson-Freed. Deilig. Jeg strikte i januar lue fra boken. Ja... storfin jeg har vottermønster i boken!
    Hjertelige hilsen sender deg Viola og stor klem.

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥