Monday, June 19, 2017

Macro Monday :: "Coffee Flowers"

Knitting in the forest


Yesterday my daughter had a little birthday party with her friends, so the rest of us went hiking in the forest to our lean-to so she could have the house by herself for a couple of hours. I brought some needles and yarn and casted on a pair of thick wool socks the perfect project to knit on in the forest. Around our fire pit a lot of Dwarf Cornels grows and they are in full bloom right now. We call this flower for "kaffeblomst" or "coffeeflowers" because the black flowers looks like small coffee beans ;)

The white leaves in the top of the plant are not petals but regular leaves that have lost chlorophyll. The flowers are small and black and are seated in an inflorescence. What looks like a big white flower is really a collection of many small black flowers. When the flowers mature, they turn into crispy stone fruits eaten by birds and animals.

"Kaffeblomster"

"Kaffeblomster"

"Kaffeblomster"

"Kaffeblomster"


"Kaffeblomster"

3 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! I enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what beautiful blooms! These are awesome flowers that I have never seen before. I love them--I'm so glad you share them with us! I bet the socks will be wonderfully warm, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of those flowers before and they do look like coffee beans in the center... You remind me that my late Mother always had a knitting project with her..always...Michelle

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥