Thursday, July 16, 2009

Firefly summer

Firefly Summer Firefly Summer by Maeve Binchy


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I bought this book at an impuls at the grocery store, as I liked what was written in the back cover...



"Kate and John Ryan have four children, of which the eldest are Michael and Dara. Their small town is peaceful and friendly, an unchanging background for a golden childhood. In long, hot summers Dara and Michael and their friends fish and swim or play in the ivy-clad ruins of Fernscourt, the great house burned down during the Troubles...

No one in Mountfern has the slightest inkling of what it will mean when the ruins are bought by Patrick O'Neill, an Irish American with a dream in his heart and a great deal of money in his pocket. It is not until the very end of this drama, with its interlocking stories of loves lost and won, ambitions nurtured and secrets betrayed, that Patrick O'Neill will understand the irony and the significance of his great dream for Mountfern."

It's my first book by Maeve Binchy and I really want to read more of her works. She makes characters that feel so real and whose lives you get so wrapped up in. It's like watching a movie when you read this book. Picturing the little town, the pub, the ruin and the people. I've felt the joy and I've shared some tears with the people in the story. Silly, but that's me.

I've been reading this book when I've put Endre to bed, and I've sometimes been sitting there reding after he has felt asleep, just to finish a chapter ;)

The only thing is that the ending makes me a bit unsatisfied. What happends to Kerry, Dara and Patrick after the fire..?


View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I liked this book as well. Maeve Binchy is very good with character and atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥