Thursday, October 14, 2010

Noro mittens

Noro mittens

I've had 2 balls of Noro Silk Garden in my stash for a very long time ot knowing what to make of them. I got the yarn in a swap, and I remember that I was so happy because this is not a yarn I would buy myself. Mostly beacuse of the price!
But oh how dissapointed I got when I finally started to crochet with the yarn! It has so much debris like hay and other thing in it and one of the balls had a knot at the end.... And no, the yarn attached was not in the same colour! Due to the itcyness-  this is a yarn that would never get close to my skin in other placec than my hands... I can't imagine making a neckwarmer or clothes for babies/kids in this yarn. But the colours is beautiful, but that is the only positiv thing i have to say about this yarn.
So, what's your opinion on Noro yarns. Are they all filled with bits of hay and other itchy parts or do you think it's worth the price?

Noro mittens

I made the mittens by crocheting 44 st into a ring and then only crocheting in the back loops. I made about 20 rows before i jumped over 8 st for the thumb. Then another 20 rows before decreasing 2 st in each side every rows, 8 times. Mine got a little bit too long, so I could have dropped a few rows before I started decreasing.


Pattern: My own.
Yarn: 100 g Noro Silk Garden #236.
Hook: 3,5 mm / E.

8 comments:

  1. Noro is a yarn that either you love it or you don't. I think it's over priced and I don't care for scratchy wools. I'm a spinner so I wouldn't mind the hay bits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vottene ble nydelige! Jeg elsker Noro, men det er på grunn av glansen i fargene og de rolige og fine fargeovergangene. Jeg synes også at det er for mye høy og kvister i garnet, men det vakre overskygger irritasjonen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never knit with Noro because of the price. Also, every time I've picked up a ball, I've noticed the flecks of hay etc. Hmmm, why IS it so expensive? Fabulous mittens, though. That bread in your previous post looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a pair of half knitted hay filled noro socks sitting in basket. I have heard though that it becomes better after you wash the finished project. I admit to being a little disappointed in it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Har aldri prøvd Noro, men fargene er jo nydelige!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colors, but they often surprise me and don't match accessories. That said, I managed a wonderful vest that I worked in panels to get more areas of color than stripes, and over other clothing, it's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute mittens!
    I just started using Noro yarns because I was always worried they would be itchy. Someone gave me a few balls. I have some Silk Garden I'm waiting to use.
    I read on the Noro website that the yarns are made in a very hands on process with minimal machine processing, which is why the yarn is so rustic and textural.

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥