Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Astrid and Veronika

Astrid and VeronikaAstrid and Veronika by Linda Olsson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

So beautifully written that it almost hurt a little. I had to put the book in my lap very often, just to dwell on those beautiful words.
And the end made my cry..

"With extraordinary emotional power, Linda Olsson's stunningly well-crafted debut novel recounts the unusual and unexpected friendship that develops between two women. Veronika, a young writer, rents a house in a small Swedish village as she tries to come to terms with a recent tragedy while also finishing a novel. Her arrival is silently observed by Astrid, an older, reclusive neighbor who slowly becomes a presence in Veronika's life, offering comfort in the form of companionship and lovingly prepared home-cooked meals. Set against a haunting Swedish landscape, Astrid and Veronika is a lyrical and meditative novel of love and loss, and a story that will remain with readers long after the characters' secrets are revealed."

3 comments:

  1. I loved that book! I think it was very well written and I liked both of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me wanting to read this now. Must see if its at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay now I want to read this book...!

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥