Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Yarn Along :: WIP Wednesday

I missed last weeks Yarn Along and WIP Wednesday, but the picture would have been the same as today ;)

Yarn Along :: WIPs Wednesday

Knitting/crocheting: The Summer Mystery Shawlette is growing, although very slowly. Knitting lace from a chart is not the thing to knit on when the kids are awake, so I just manage to knit a few rows each night... Eirin needs new socks for fall so I'm almost done with one pair. I'm doing a bit of crocheting too these days. The blue project might be a cowl... It's actually just a piece I started to keep my hands busy while watching a movie ;) The other crochet project is a pair of potholders.

Reading: I'm reading a brick of a book, but I'm loving every page of it. It's The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber. It's the story of a well-read London prostitute named Sugar. We learn about the positions and orifices that Sugar and her clients favor, about her lingering skin condition, and about the suspect ingredients of her prophylactic douches. Still, Sugar believes she can make a better life for herself. When she is taken up by a wealthy man, the perfumer William Rackham, her wings are clipped, and she must balance financial security against the obvious servitude of her position. The physical risks and hardships of Sugar's life (and the even harder "honest" life she would have led as a factory worker) contrast--yet not entirely--with the medical mistreatment of her benefactor's wife, Agnes, and beautifully underscore Faber's emphasis on class and sexual politics. (From Amazon)
And BBC have made a tv series of the book - anyone seen it? I think it's one I need to buy ;) Just love Victorian movies and tv series!

14 comments:

  1. I really like your shawlette! The color is so cheerful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun socks! And the shawlette looks great too. I have the same trouble of attempting to knit while the boys are up and it is sadly not worth the effort most of the time - makes for very limited knitting time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are those 4 knitting projects I spy in your photo? What are the other three?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the socks, and your blue project is intriguing. The yarn looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That sounds like quite a book.

    The shawl's beautiful. Can't wait to see it all done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got quite a few things on the go! I love the colours of Eirin's socks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that red! The socks look really smart, too!

    Am glad I'm not the only one who has several projects on the go at once - and I just made the mistake of pricing up some wool, so I'll be off to buy even more tomorrow (that'll be another two projects in the queue!)

    Not read any Michael Faber - but I shelved enough copies when I worked in the library!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The book sure sound interesting. The description you did was so riveting I almost forgot I came to look at knitting/crochet. Those looked great as well.

    While it doesn't sound like something I would like to ready you really brought it all to life. I too am fascinated somewhat with the Victorian era and its treatment of sexual, gender and class issues. I however am much more a fan of Jane Austin.

    Good luck with your WIPS and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep wanting to try knitting lace but fear the distraction factor with chart reading. I plan to give it a whirl this fall, though. Thanks for sharing the interesting book review, too -- I always hear about so many different books thanks to Ginny! (Stopping by from Ginny's Yarn Along)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great knit and that book sounds really interesting. I don't know if I've seen your haircut (I scrolled down through the blog to see what I'd missed) and it looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That shawl is going to be gorgeous! And what a fascinating book! Must add it to my list (oh that list! ;-). I love your blog name. I used to blog at (and will probably return one day) Jumbleberry Jam. I love berries - especially native ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the blue crochet, can't wait to see that finished up. The Red, well it pops right out at you.

    Thanks, I have just gone to our local bookshop online and ordered that book for me, I think it's the first book only for me in over 6 months. Can't wait for it to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shawl looks great so far and I love how vibrate the color is! Also, that sock is awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥