Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Yarn Along :: WIP Wednesday

Seems like the days are flying by here... I missed out last weeks Yarn Along and WIP Wednesday. But since then I have finished my Summer Mystery Shawlette and my blanket :)

YArn Along :: WIP Wednesday

Knitting: I've joined a sock mystery in one of the groups at Ravelry. I'm almost done with the 2nd clue on both. Think the heel is next. I've started two sweaters for Eirin. The black one will be a slow project as it is knitted on 2 and 2,5 mm needles. I have wanted to knit this jacket from the book "Kæk og klassisk børnetøy" by Lene Holme Samsøe since I bought it :) Hopefully she will like it. I'm also knitting her a sweater in blue. She has choosen the colours herself. It's supposed to be stripes with the letters of  abc above the pattern, but I found it to time-consuming to knit them...

Reading: I've finished Queen of Swords. After a slow start I had a hard time putting it down at night :) So I had to start reading the 6th and last book The Endless Forest right away. It's with mixed feelings I'm getting ready to leave this wonderful family...

The spring of 1824 is a challenging one for the inhabitants of Paradise N.Y. when a flood devastates the village. But for Nathaniel and Elizabeth Bonner, it’s also a time of reunion as their children return from far-off places: Lily and her husband from Italy, and Martha Kirby, the Bonners’ ward, from Manhattan. Although Lily is nursing her own grief, it is Martha, fleeing a crushing humiliation, who brings with her trouble that will reverberate in all their lives.

In the sudden peace that follows the storm, as families struggle to rebuild, childhood friends Martha and Daniel, Lily’s twin brother, suddenly begin to see each other in a new light. But their growing bond is threatened when Martha’s mother arrives back in Paradise a decade after abandoning her daughter. Jemima Southern is a dangerous schemer who has destroyed more than one family, and her anger touches everyone, as do her secrets. Has Jemima come to claim her daughter–or does she have something else in mind? Whatever happens, Martha and Daniel and all the Bonners must stand united against the threats to both heart and home.

Painful secrets and hidden sorrows, joy, heartbreak, and passion follow the Bonners through a season of change and renewal. A rich, passionate, multilayered portrayal of family strength and endurance in a fascinating place and time.
(From Goodreads)
I've also picked up The Aviary Gate by Katie Hickman. As I haven't read more than a few chapters I havn't made up my mind about this book yet.

A lush, ancient tale of treacherous secrets, forbidden love, and murder in an Ottoman palace.

Elizabeth Staveley sits in the Bodleian library, holding in her trembling hands a fragment of ancient paper. It is the key to a story that has been locked away for four centuries, the story of a British sea captain's daughter held captive in the sultans harem.

Constantinople, 1599. There are rumors and strange stirrings in the sultan's palace. The chief black eunuch has been poisoned by a taste of a beautiful ship made of spun sugar. The sultan's mother faces threats to her power from her son's favorite concubine. And a secret rebellion is rising within the palace's most private quarters.

Meanwhile, the merchant Paul Pindar, secretary to the English ambassador, brings a precious gift to the sultan. As he nears the palace, word comes to Pindar that the woman he once loved, Celia, may be alive, and hidden among the ranks of slaves in the sultan's harem. Can this really be the same Celia who disappeared in a shipwreck? And if it is, can the two be reunited?
(from the authors homepage)
 So what are you knitting and readin??

20 comments:

  1. I love what you are knitting, the people are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The border on that blue sweater is brilliant! I have yet to do successful colorwork, but that's quite the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mystery sock is looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such amazing knitting and beautiful reading. I don't know if I'll ever get as far as doing colorwork patterns in my knits. Right now I'm more drawn to lace...we'll see. I'll be interested to hear what you think of Gosta Berling...it's a very odd read - at least in English. I'll do a little review of it next week. The next book in my queue is also translated from Norwegian ... yes, I'm seeing an interesting pattern here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem to have a lot going on. Best of luck with the sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, the detail of the little people is amazing! i am sure it is time consuming getting all those little people/abc's into these projects, but they look great!

    :)
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sock looks delicious!

    I just finished reading the second Shadowmagic book, and now I have to wait over a year for the next one! *pout*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love that blanket. I was telling my husband about it the other day and how I just found the pieces to be so neat to look at! A work of art indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sock is great! It's so much fun to knit a mystery pattern

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, yarn and books in the same photo/post. I love it.

    Your knitting is looking awesome, I really like the sock and that blue sweater is amazing.

    I just finished a really fun, fluffy mystery novel by an author whose work I love this morning. (The Real Macaw by Donna Andrews.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The hat trim detail is so inventive! I also love the sock.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm interested to know what you think of the aviary gate, I run a reading group and have chosen it for next month! Great looking wips too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The socks are so cute.

    How awesome is that jersey. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute sweater - I love the band of stick figures! I'm reading Clara Callan right now, and enjoying it thoroughly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, the Sara Donati series! I dont remember which one I left off at. I need to see how far behind I am.... Your knitting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Så kul bord på den genseren!! Er den også fra Fr. Samsøe?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your projects look interesting. I'm really interested in those books. I'll have to look them up sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the sweater with the little girls on the bottom, so adroable! :)

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥