Monday, November 1, 2010

52 books in 52 weeks update

The months seems to just fly by - I can't imagine it's November already! All the snow we got this weekend have melted due to a very warm wind during the night, it was +8 C this morning. And there is a storm coming that will hit us in the afternoon.  Perfect weather to stay inside and knit :)

So what have I been reading last month. Well, some vampire books ;) Who would have thought so , ha,ha. I've discovered a series written by Sherrilyn Kenyon  - Dark Hunter World. I loved the 1st book, the 2nd wasn't quite so good, but I have high exspectations for the 3rd :)
I've also read the 2nd book in the Immortales series, which are written by three authors. Jennifer Ashley, Robin Popp and  Joy Nash. I  read the 1st book last year, I think, and I must say I like the plot. So I might buy more books in the series. Speaking of Joy Nash, when I had a look at her site I came across the Druids of Avalon series. I know I have so many book  around here waiting for me to read them, so I really shoudn't buy more... But I think I'll have to check out this series :) Anyone read it??

I have been reading "normal" books too, which have no vampires in sight :) The last week or so I've been in a world filled with chocolate and magic. I've read Chocolat and The Lollipop shoes  by Joanne Harris. And if you haven't read them you must!! It's been a long time since I've read such a beautiful story. And yes, I know there is a film based on the Chocolat book, but I've been dissapointed so many times when I've seen films based on books I've read :( So even if Johnny Depp has a role, I'm still not going to se it ;)

I see that Joanne Harris have written more books, so I think I need to check some of them out. Have any of you read some of them?? Any recommendations??

October
105 - The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake 4) - Laurell K. Hamilton
106 - **Night Pleasures** (Dark-Hunter World 1) - Sherrilyn Kenyon

The Dark-Hunters are ancient warriors who have sworn to protect mankind and the fate of the world is in their hands. . .
 He is solitude. He is darkness. He is the ruler of the night. Yet Kyrian of Thrace has just woken up handcuffed to his worst nightmare: An accountant. Worse, she's being hunted by one of the most lethal vampires out there. And if Amanda Devereaux goes down, then he does too. But it's not just their lives that are hanging in the balance.  Kyrian and Amanda are all that stands between humanity and oblivion. Let's hope they win.

107 - Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter World 2) - Sherrilyn Kenyon
108 - Hjemkomsten (Polarnetter #16) - Ellinor Rafaelsen
109 - **The Darkening** (Immortals 2) - Robin T. Popp

Created at the dawn of time to protect humanity, the ancient warriors have been nearly forgotten, though magic lives on--in vampires, werewolves, the Celtic Sidhe, and other beings. But now one of their own has turned rogue, and the world is again in desperate need of the IMMORTALS.

A werewolf and bounty hunter, Lexi was badass to the bone. She had no problem protecting herself in the seedy underground vampire clubs of New York City. Until the Immortal she had tried to summon actually appeared. It wasn't the intricate tattoos around his well-defined muscles that intimidated her; it was the raw power she saw shimmering in his golden brown eyes, power mingled with lust. Though she longed to give in to the passion and pleasure he promised, they first had a curse to break, a brother to find, and a whole legion of vampires to prevent from joinin.


110 - **Chocolat** - Joanne Harris

Vianne Rocher and her 6-year-old daughter, Anouk, arrive in the small village of Lansquenet-sous-Tannes--"a blip on the fast road between Toulouse and Bourdeaux"--in February, during the carnival. Three days later, Vianne opens a luxuriant chocolate shop crammed with the most tempting of confections and offering a mouth-watering variety of hot chocolate drinks. It's Lent, the shop is opposite the church and open on Sundays, and Francis Reynaud, the austere parish priest, is livid. One by one the locals succumb to Vianne's concoctions. Joanne Harris weaves their secrets and troubles, their loves and desires, into her third novel, with the lightest touch. There's sad, polite Guillame and his dying dog; thieving, beaten-up Joséphine Muscat; schoolchildren who declare it "hypercool" when Vianne says they can help eat the window display--a gingerbread house complete with witch. And there's Armande, still vigorous in her 80s, who can see Anouk's "imaginary" rabbit, Pantoufle, and recognizes Vianne for who she really is. However, certain villagers--including Armande's snobby daughter and Joséphine's violent husband--side with Reynaud. So when Vianne announces a Grand Festival of Chocolate commencing Easter Sunday, it's all-out war: war between church and chocolate, between good and evil, between love and dogma. 

111 - **The Lollipop Shoes** - Joanne Harris

More than four years have passed since Vianne Rocher pitted her enchanted chocolate confections against the local clergy's interpretation of Lent in smalltown France; since then, Vianne has renounced magic, changed her name to Yanne Charbonneau and moved with her two daughters to Paris's Montmartre district. There, Yanne embraces conformity and safety, much to the dismay of her increasingly troubled older daughter, Anouk. When Anouk becomes entranced with Zozie de l'Alba, an exotic itinerant who happens upon a job at the new shop, and the relationship grows increasingly sinister, Yanne must call up all of Vianne's powers, culinary and mystical, to save her family. Harris again structures the narrative (told in alternate chapters by Zozie, Yanne and Anouk) around a liturgical season (in this case Advent). Harris gives fans much to savor in this multilayered novel, from the descriptions (including Yanne's mouthwatering chocolate confections, Zozie's whimsical footwear and Anouk's artistic efforts) to the novel's classic, enduring theme of good vs. evil—and the difficulty of telling the difference.

2 comments:

  1. Hiya, love you idea of 52 books in 52 weeks. I am a HUGE Joanne Harris fan too and love Chocolat and The Lollipop Shoes. I'm also usually quite dissappointed by film adaptations of books but I think you would be pleasantly suprised by the film version of Chocolat. I love it, even own it. Johnny Depp and Juliette Binoche do a wonderful job, as does Judi Dench. It diverts from the novel's plot slightly but does a beautiful job! It's one of those films I like to watch on a wintery night when I need to curl up and eat chocolate as a treat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm maybe I should give the film a try then ;)

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥