Wednesday, March 28, 2012

On the needles, between the pages and finished socks

DSCN6436

Linking up with

Knitting: An angry bird almost finished. I just have those small parts left to knit. My Octopus mittens have been neglected the last weeks, but hopefully I'll have them done before the snow melts ;) And the black/purple projects is going to be a pair of Stripe Tease socks.

Reading: I've put aside The Map of Time so I could read The Snowchild. I picked it up at the library last Saturday and it's wonderful! You have to read it. I have about 50 pages left and I so hope it will have a happy ending...


Alaska, 1920: a brutal place to homestead, and especially tough for recent arrivals Jack and Mabel. Childless, they are drifting apart--he breaking under the weight of the work of the farm; she crumbling from loneliness and despair. In a moment of levity during the season's first snowfall, they build a child out of snow. The next morning the snow child is gone--but they glimpse a young, blonde-haired girl running through the trees. This little girl, who calls herself Faina, seems to be a child of the woods. She hunts with a red fox at her side, skims lightly across the snow, and somehow survives alone in the Alaskan wilderness. As Jack and Mabel struggle to understand this child who could have stepped from the pages of a fairy tale, they come to love her as their own daughter. But in this beautiful, violent place things are rarely as they appear, and what they eventually learn about Faina will transform all of them.


DSCN6435

I had to have a mindless knitting, so I casted on a pair of toe-ups last weekend. They have been a fast knit and I am pleased with the result :)

Pattern: A simply toe-up using Judy's magic cast-on. 64 st and a short row heel
Yarn: 75g Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock Multi #403 Tuscany
Needles: 2,5 mm

13 comments:

  1. Woah! Those socks were completed in less than a week? I'm seriously impressed, and they look great! I'm also really fascinated by the construction of the Strip Tease socks, please post some more pictures of how those are going in the future if you feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see those octopus mittens grow! They are such a cute pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some good looking socks :) Love the colours for your Octopus mitten too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! You knit socks really quickly! I hope you're able to wear your octopus mitts before summer takes hold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I keep ignoring all post about Spring further south in the world as we don't get spring in another month or two... So yes, I think I will have time to wear the mittens if I just get them off the needles ;)

      Delete
  5. Love the socks! Can't wait to see your angry bird all done up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love angry birds, I look forward to seeing your finished object. Those socks are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowzers - the socks look gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute socks! It's the fiddly parts of all amigurumi that get to me. Can't wait to see it done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. *insert sexy whistle* nice socks!! I love the colours of the octopus mittens :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous socks!! I followed you here from FrontierDreams. This week, my craftiness led to a mama-made dress for BabySister due in early July. http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/03/squirrelys-nutty-brown-owl-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely socks! They look so comfy. :-)

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥