Monday, March 28, 2011

Day One :: A Tale of Two Yarns.


 The first day of the Knitting and Crochet Blog Week is here and todays topic is yarn.
You can read more blog post here.

"Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them."

zombie

I guess I'm not the only one who have skeins of yarn that I have had in my stash for years... My favourite skein is this. It's from Spunkey Eclectic's yarn club, and I have had it since August 2009. I LOVE the colours and the name - Zombie, but I haven't found the right project for it yet ;)

noro1

Now for my least favourite yarn. I think some of you will disagree with me on this one. Noro Silk Garden. I got the yarn in a swap, and I remember that I was so happy because this is not a yarn I would buy myself. Mostly beacuse of the price! I had the yarn in my stash for quite a while before I desided to make a pair of mittens.
But oh how dissapointed I got when I finally started to crochet with the yarn! It had so much debris like hay and other thing in it and one of the balls had a knot at the end.... And no, the yarn attached was not in the same colour! The mittens came out rather nice when it comes to the colours, but they are hard and stiff and not plesant to wear... So if you want to make a pair of mittens with beautiful colours, I'd make them with Mochi Plus instead - like this pair a made last week.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that sock yarn is absolutely gorgeous. I know what you mean about choosing the right project. Sometimes it is nicer to keep it in a skein and just look and dream occasionally, rather than a half-finished project that doesn't do it justice, the yarn seems to lose its magic.

    I have to disagree with you on the Noro though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man! I love Spunky Eclectic! Her shop is about 45 minutes away. Her colors are really wonderful. Hope you can knit with the yarn soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about the Noro. My friend bought this yarn and I made her a headband and scarf with a different Noro yarn. We joked that for the price they could have at least picked out all the hay. LOL It also reminds me of knitting with dryer lint. Of course, it's prettier than my dryer lint but it has the texture. Perhaps it will "full" nicely after it's washed. I can see it blending together better. I too was disappointed with the different color changes when they tied it together. Each skein is different so it gave a different color pattern also. I'm kinda finicky about color. All that said, I did like the scarf. I hope it will lie flat after blocking. I gave it to my friend to block. Didn't want to ruin her $40 worth of yarn and my hours of work. OK, long comment, sorry. Perhaps you have more yarn/knitting readers who need the info. Enjoying your blog since finding you on Ginny's Yarn Along. ~Cori

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥