Saturday, April 28, 2012

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week :: Improving Your Skillset 3kcbwday6


How far down the road to learning your craft do you believe yourself to be? Are you comfortable with what you know or are you always striving to learn new skills and add to your knowledge base? Take a look at a few knitting or crochet books and have a look at some of the skills mentioned in the patterns. Can you start your amigurumi pieces with a magic circle, have you ever tried double knitting, how's your intarsia? If you are feeling brave, make a list of some of the skills which you have not yet tried but would like to have a go at, and perhaps even set yourself a deadline of when you'd like to have tried them by.

Untitled

As a child I learned to knit, purl and somehow turn a heel. I also learned the basic crochet stitches. I remember that I loved craft classes at school. I used to knit small doll clothes and when I was 13 and my little sister was born, I knitted her a jacket almost by myself.
In my teens I didn't knit much, so it's the last 12 years or so that I have been knitting almost daily due to having kids ;)
I still feel that I have lots to learn. As spinning. The above picture was taken last May and I'm sorry to say that I haven't thouched it since... I really want to learn to spin my own yarn, but I haven't given it a proper try yet.
When it comes to knitting and crochet, I feel there are a few things I still have to try learn:

- Entrelac. I'd love to make myself a pair of Entrelac mittens.
- Sew in a zipper. I avoid patterns with zippers because my sweing machine and I are not friends....
- Broomstick lace
- Double knitting. Imagine the thick and warm mittens I could knit.. Like these or these.
- Naalbinding - I'd love to learn this!

5 comments:

  1. Dette var et morsomt innlegg. Jeg har aldri hørt om broomstick lace, så jeg måtte google litt. Selv er jeg nokså kjedelig når det gjelder teknikker, jeg liker å holde meg til de gode gamle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Sewing in a zipper might be challenging to learn though, good thing you have a sewing machine! I love your spindle, it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, zippers are scary no matter what the project! If anyone from my blog list could master those absolutely gorgeous forms of knitting I think it would be you. I so admire the items you knit! I have not hear of nalbinding before and will need to further investigate. Is it something only you wildly talented Scandinavian knitters invented and know how to do? :)
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved seeing that you knitted when you were younger. And don't worry about the spinning, it will come in time.

    I am posting links to blogs I like each day on mine and your's is going on today's list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. THe Ramona mittens are WONDERFUL go for it

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥