Wednesday, April 18, 2012

On the needles and between the pages

Untitled

Linking up with

Knitting: My stripe tease sock is coming along great and I am about to knit the toe. I do think they might me to short for me though... But I am not frogging all those stripes. The red and white you can spot in the corner is a secret project I am working on. I spotted a post on facebook some weeks ago about a book publisher who needed knitters who could knit up jackets, sweaters and hats for a new book that is coming out at the end of the year. So I sent them an e-mail and yesterday the yarn came in the mail :) I am knitting a jacket and a hat. Struggling a bit to get the right gauge, so I think I must frog and go up a needles size... A bit scary to knit for others, but fun also and I get paid. So money to buy new yarn ;)

Reading: I picked up some books at the library last week, and one of them was The Flying Troutmans. I am about half way through it and I love it! It's heartbreaking and funny at the same time.
 Min was stranded in her bed, hooked on the blue torpedoes and convinced that a million silver cars were closing in on her (I didn't know what Thebes meant either), Logan was in trouble at school, something about the disturbing stories he was writing, Thebes was pretending to be Min on the phone with his principal, the house was crumbling around them, the black screen door had blown off in the wind, a family of aggressive mice was living behind the piano, the neighbours were pissed off because of hatchets being thrown into their yard at night (again, confusing, something to do with Logan) … basically, things were out of control. And Thebes is only eleven

 What are you reading and knitting or crocheting this week?

23 comments:

  1. do i see fair isle? hmmm? great socks :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great to be able to knit something up for a book! Let us know when your work is published :-D

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, Stripe Tease - I love that pattern :) Hopefully a bit of blocking will stretch them to size for you!

    Good luck with the book knit - very exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a great pattern. They fit me around the leg and foot. I just haven't knitted the foot long enough... And I think it will look strange with a very long toe, so I guess someone else who have shorter feet will get these ;)

      Delete
  4. How exciting to be knitting for a book! You'll have to let us all know about it! great socks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you luck with your jacket and hat. Who is taking the pictures for the book? Do you have to send in the items when they are finished?
    So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I will send back the items back to them when I'm done and they will take photos themselves. I then get the knitted items back :) And I'll also get a book when it gets published.

      Delete
  6. How fun your "secret" project is! Great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun that you get to do a test knit for the book, I'm excited to get to see it sometime. I know they will look great though : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting to knit for a book! Your knitting is always so lovely so the publishers are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. im loving the grey and purple together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on being a book knitter! Your book looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how fun to knit for a book! That would be so much fun! Beautiful work. You are such an amazing knitter and so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun socks! I love how you have the secret knit just in shot. Jacinta

    ReplyDelete
  13. thats very exciting, and i know it will turn out beautifully, your knitting is always so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I find test knitting very stressful, but you're doing the rest of us a public service, so I'm grateful that people like you are willing to do it! I wouldn't frog those stripes either. There are feet to fit any socks, so just carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH! Vertical striping! I'm intrigued! I'm eager to see how this turn out, and I have added this pattern to my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, lovely socks! I don't think I've ever seen vertically striped ones before.

    The secret project sounds good too. It's very exciting knowing that you're knitting something that will go in a book, even if it is hard work! Hope it comes out well :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love the color combo! grey and purple are my faves :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've wondered who knits the items for books. Now I know. Well, one person at least! They do look good. Hope you post pictures once they are done and published.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved The Flying Troutmans! LOVED! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those socks are awesome! Love the yarn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the gray and purple! I followed you over from KCCO and here is my project this week: My project this week: http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/crafting-on-with-needle-and-thread.html

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥