Wednesday, April 4, 2012

On the needles and between the pages

On the needles and between the pages

Linking up with
Yarn Along :: WIP Wednesday :: Keep Calm Craft On

We are having Easter break here, so the days have been lazy with a little extra sleep in the mornings and a few more hours in front of the tv at night watching crime series. In Norway, Easter break is longer than in many other European countries. The Easter holidays start Wednesday afternoon before Maundy Thursday, and end on Tuesday morning after Easter Monday. This makes for a nice long Easter weekend in Norway!
And we norwegian likes to spend as much time as we can outdoors during Easter. Skiing, hiking or just soaking up the sun (if there is one). So far we've had sunny days, but today it's snowing big white snowflakes and all thoughts about Spring is gone... 
A quite peculiar national trait in Norway is solving crimes during Easter. Publishers churn out series of books known as "Easter-Thrillers" or Påskekrimmen. Even the milk cartons change to have murder stories on their sides ;) So far Hubby and I have watched Whitechapel and I know there will be some episodes of Inspector Lewis later in the week. I had hopes there would be Poirot or Miss Marple, as I love those series. But maybe next year...

Reading: So as it's Easter I had to look for a crime book in my shelf ;) Myren (Jar City in english) is an Icelandic novel by Arnaldur Indridason. So far it's good and I hope the who did it won't reveal it self too fast. And I just love the names on Iceland - Erlendur is the name of the detective in the book.
I'm also trying to finish a norwegian series during Easter. I started book #15 Nattmannen this morning. It's 20 books in this series so I think I should manage to read the rest. As I don't have to get up early I can read for hours in bed ;)

Knitting: As I've been sick with the flu I haven't kitted much... with a heavy head it's better to read than managing stitches. But I have finished one Octopus mitten since last week and have started the second :) They seem to be a little small though, so they might end up at Eirin's hands instead of mine... We'll see after some blocking. The Stripe Tease socks haven't grown much. I'm about to start the second stripe. And I have started a new pair of socks. Not sure if I'll knit the plain or make a pair of Jaywalkers. I think they might be pretty in just plain stripes.




Ss, what are you knitting and reading?
And how do you celebrate Easter?

15 comments:

  1. Such a colorful WIP picture! I hope that you feel better soon and that you have a wonderful break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The octopus mitten is so wonderful! Murder Mystery Easter, what a fun tradition....I hope you are well enough to enjoy the break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at the Octopus! Sorry you haven't been feeling well though :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easter thrillers -- that's new to me! How interesting.

    The mittens are beautiful. I love those colors together. Hope you feel better soon; I can't knit while sick either, but I can still enjoy a book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That octopus mitten is fantastic!! I didn't know that in Norway you had a tradition of crime reading/watching at easter! - is there a ledgend behind this tradition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had hoped to have them finished before Easter, but that won't happend...

      The tradition of the Easter mystery began probably with an ad that Gyldendals publisher Harald Grieg had in the newspaper during Easter 1923.

      The ad, which looked like a regular news bulletin, was on the front page of Aftenposten entitled "Bergen train robbed last night."

      The text advertised for the new crime book to Nordahl Grieg and Nils Lie. The book sold well - it was clear that people liked the idea of ​​Eastercrime. The following year began Aschehoug to focus on crime at Easter too. Since then, Norwegians read more and more crime every year at Easter.

      Delete
  7. that is interesting about the mysteries...sounds fun with the whole country taking part! and i love the colors in your sock cuff- a little brightness is always appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. :-( I hope you feel better soon!!! Your mitts looks INCREDIBLE! I'm having some serious mitten envy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the octopus mitten! The colours are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! I am loving those pop colors for the Octopus mitt. Hope the other ones goes smoothly. And plain stripes for the new socks are always a nice break from all that colorwork.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i do hope your feeling better soon, it sounds so lovely there in norway, a place i am looking forward to visiting someday. and it's interesting to hear about your traditions, i love that so much takes place outdoors.
    your knitting is always so so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Veldig stilige farger på vottene du strikker ;) Ha en flott påske videre!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mye snadder på pinnene!
    Jeg hadde også håpt på litt god gammeldags Agatha Christy, men så langt har jeg likt Whitechapel, og er optimistisk ift resten av påskekrimmen også .)
    Fortsatt god påske!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The octopus mittens will rock!!

    http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/keep-calm-and-craft-on.html

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥