Monday, April 26, 2010

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week :: Day One



Starting Out
How and when did you begin knitting/crocheting? was it a skill passed down through generations of your family, or something you learned from Knitting For Dummies? What or who made you pick up the needles/hook for the first time? Was it the celebrity knitting ‘trend’ or your great aunt Hilda?




I guess I'm from one of those families where "every" women knits or crochets ;) Both of my grandmothers knitted and crocheted. And I learned to knit and crochet at the same time as my cousins. Spending my summer holidays at my mother's mother she had the time to teach. But my mom have thought me a lot too.
I remember the joy of completing my first heel - and the type of heel is one I never knit today, I still find it complicated... I guess I was like many other kids, never finishing a project - until my mom had my little sister when I was 13. Then I knitted up a few jackets for her, and I used them for my kids when they was born ;) I don't have any pictures of them though...
Since then I didn't knit much until I had my first kid. Knitting him sweaters, trousers, hats and mittens. And for each kid it seems like I'm just knitting more and more. Not sure if it's a sign that I need to knit more to keep sane or not *lol*
Both of the girls can knit now and I'm thinking about teaching them to crochet too. My oldest boy have shown a bit interest, but have yet to sit down to learn.


Spring Fling socks

And here's my latest FO - a pair of anklets. I've never knitted one before, but I guess they'll become handy when summer arrives ;) The yarn is made of corn (and a part nylon). It's not the best yarn I've knitted with, but the socks turned out very soft.
Pattern: Spring Fling socks.
Yarn: 51 g Maizy #1005. Seems like I have enough for another pair.
Needles: 2,5 mm.

6 comments:

  1. We are running a free random draw for a knitting or crochet book. No purchase necessary.
    All you have to do is add yourself as a fan or press the "like" button on our Facebook page.
    The draw will take place on Mother’s Day May 9th. No country restrictions.

    For details and to see the books, please see
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Karp-Styles-Crochet-and-Knitting/208766713593

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your socks look great. I have yet to try out the corn yarn. I have spun some yarn up with the fiber before though, for a customer. It was incredibly soft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be fun. I like your answer to the question. My mom didn't knit or sew, but I was fortunate to have a neighbor that taught me. I also never finished a thing until I had kids. Love the anklet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those socks look great! And made out of corn, that is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heia
    Idag har jeg blogget det bildet av fatet du har på venstre siden.
    Home is where mom is..
    Dersom jeg ikke får lov til det, fjerner jeg bildet.
    Det var bare så utrolig fint.

    Ha en flott dag videre.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous socks! My mother and grandmothers knitted and crocheted but I never wanted to know how until I discovered the internet, became very inspired and taught myself!

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for leaving your comments ♥